MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Toyota’s Altona plant to start 21-day shutdown amid survival fears

Toyota’s Altona plant to start 21-day shutdown amid survival fears

Workers at Toyota’s Altona plant will on Wednesday afternoon down tools for 21 days – the longest holiday shutdown at any of the car maker’s 54 plants across the globe.

By comparison, the plant in Japan that Melbourne is competing against to build Toyota’s next Camry model will shut for only five days over New Year.

Toyota is considering closing the Altona plant, following decisions by Ford and Holden to end manufacturing in Australia.

As the company contemplates its survival in Australia, key component suppliers have offered fresh guarantees to continue supporting the car maker.

Toyota has asked its 2500 employees at Altona to accept reduced conditions to help save the car plant.

The company was last week prevented by a Federal Court judgment from putting 27 cost-cutting measures to a vote of staff. The company will decide whether to appeal that decision by Thursday.

Among the demands Toyota had wanted to put to its workforce was reducing the 21-day summer shutdown to 10 days.

Elsewhere across the 28 countries where Toyota manufactures cars, a 10-day shutdown is the longest closure for Christmas.

Tsutsumi, the plant in the Japanese city of Toyota that Melbourne is pitted against to make the next Camry, will shut down from December 28 to January 6 – five working days.

But the head of the vehicles union, Dave Smith, said the company had options open to it if it wanted to have staff work over Christmas. “Toyota … want a process that just allows them to implement whatever break they want,” he said.

Toyota argues that time is running out to decide where the new Camry and Aurion models will be built from 2018, and says it needs to show the company’s Japanese head office it can reduce the cost of making each car by $3800.

Parts suppliers to the company, though, have said they are prepared to downsize and diversify as a means of continuing to support the car maker.

There are fears the majority of Toyota’s suppliers will not be able to sustain the necessary critical mass to survive when Ford leaves Australia in 2016 and Holden in 2017.

Toyota relies on about 60 suppliers to produce components for local and exported vehicles, and is in the process of contacting each to ask whether they could survive on a reduced scale.

Dean Lomas is a director of VDMG, which supplies interior and exterior plastics to Toyota, Holden and Ford. Mr Lomas said he would continue to support Toyota in a reduced capacity.

The company employs about 600 people, and Mr Lomas said Ford and Holden’s closure would probably mean cutting his operation back to 350 employees.

“If Toyota stays, we can actually support them but we would be working very hard to replace the lost revenue from GM and Ford,” said Mr Lomas, who added the company would have to diversify into other products using the skills it had built up in the auto industry. “We’re certainly not about to throw in the towel and give up fighting.”

Toyota has received similar guarantees from more than a dozen of the part suppliers it has contacted so far, including light manufacturer Hella and chassis specialist Metalsa.

Another potential saving grace for parts suppliers could be realised as early as Friday, when the Productivity Commission releases an interim report on automotive subsidies. With two of Australia’s three car makers pulling out, component manufacturers could be in line to receive additional assistance to increase their export markets.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…