MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Successful youth program under threat without help

Successful youth program under threat without help

A successful program diverting at-risk western suburbs youth from a life of crime will fold without urgent support, according to its head.

Operation Newstart has assisted more than 2000 of the state’s most vulnerable young people, including almost 500 in the western suburbs.

Executive officer Phil Wheatley told the Weekly the award-winning program was likely to disappear without urgent help from the state government and Victoria Police.

“We are operating five programs this term with the support of schools, but the outlook in the medium term is very problematic.”

Last year the federal government allocated the program a $300,000 grant from the National Crime Prevention Fund, but the offer was withdrawn by the new Coalition government. Late last year, Victoria Police withdrew its operational support, leaving the program without the police officers who were a lynchpin of its success, according to Mr Wheatley.

“All of the evidence shows that by keeping kids in school as long as possible there is a real chance of enabling them to have productive lives.”

Opposition police spokesman and Wiliamstown MP Wade Noonan raised the matter in State Parliament, calling on Police Minister Kim Wells to meet with program leaders.

“Many of the secondary school-aged young people who have benefited from this program have been described as gifted, but through a variety of circumstances they have fallen on hard times and dabbled in crime, drugs, alcohol or other antisocial behaviours,” Mr Noonan said.

“As such, many drop out of school and potentially consign themselves to lives lacking hope or direction. That is why Operation Newstart matters to them.”

Footscray MP Marsha Thomson said Operation Newstart had proven a success in Footscray, with 480 completing the program.

“If the Napthine government wants to maintain a shred of credibility in the area of crime prevention then they need to support Operation Newstart in Footscray.”

The minister’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…