MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Nine-hour blitz nets $275,000 in unpaid fines

Nine-hour blitz nets $275,000 in unpaid fines

A nine-hour police blitz on Melton drivers netted more than $275,000 in unpaid fines last week.

Police used automatic numberplate recognition to identify offenders in the operation on High Street.

Traffic was diverted into the Hannah Watts carpark, where 65 people paid on the spot to settle 230 warrants valued at more than $70,000. And 10 people, with 272 outstanding warrants valued at more than $90,000, had the wheels of their vehicles clamped.

A spokeswoman for the Justice and Regulation Department said the outstanding debts consisted of a range of unpaid fines, including for unpaid tolls, and traffic and parking infringements.

Any driver who was unable to resolve the matters on the day was forced to enter into payment plans.

The spokeswoman urged drivers to clear their outstanding matters ‘‘before we find them”.

“The Sheriff’s Office regularly conducts targeted enforcement activity such as special operations and roadblocks, as well as multi-agency operations involving VicRoads and Victoria Police,” the spokeswoman said.

“These operations enable Sheriff’s officers to more easily and efficiently identify fine defaulters.”

Victorian Sheriff Brendan Facey said there would be more blitzes in an effort to stamp out fine evasion and remind people of the serious consequences if they didn’t pay their fines.

“Technology is making it easier to locate fine evaders and, if necessary, take action to have the fines paid,” Mr Facey said. “Ignoring your fines will not make them go away.

“People with outstanding infringements run the risk of tough sanctions.

“They include wheel-clamping, asset confiscation, licence suspension and even arrest.”

Anyone concerned about their fines can call 1300 SHERIFF to speak to someone about their options.

To pay fines, or for more information, visit www.fines.vic.gov.au

Digital Editions


  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised…

More News

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…