MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Bus services suspended after rock attacks

Bus services suspended after rock attacks

A series of attacks on buses in Seabrook has led to the cessation of two services for the second time this week.

ComfortDelgro Cabcharge group operations manager George Konstantopoulos said there were 15 cases of rocks being thrown at buses, with 11 vehicles damaged along Arlington Place in Seabrook since last month.

The 496 and 498 services were cancelled from 6.30pm last night, and will not run tonight. The 495 and 497 services were also cancelled for a 48 hour period earlier this week.

The services run between the Laverton and Point Cook or Hoppers Crossing areas via Seabrook.

“When services resumed on Wednesday, the attacks continued,” Mr Konstantopoulos said.

“We’re talking about rocks the size of cricket balls propelled through side doors, and on a couple of occasions, at windscreens.

“There haven’t been any injuries yet, but if the attacks continue, it is only a matter of time.

“We have a duty of care, not only to our patrons on services, but also the staff who are now getting a bit nervous about driving on those services.”

He said services would be reinstated for the weekend, but if the attacks continued, exploring the possibility of a diversion with key stakeholders could be the only solution.

Altona MP Jill Hennessy met with Mr Konstantopoulos this morning to discuss the attacks.

“We fought hard to get this bus service for the local community, so I’m really disappointed that people are targeting and damaging these buses like this,” she said.

Mr Konstantopoulos will meet with stakeholders on Monday to discuss the issue further.

More to come

Digital Editions


  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne.…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…

  • Stars coming to Altona North

    Stars coming to Altona North

    International box lacrosse is coming to Altona North. Both the Next Gen Series and the IIJL Commonwealth Cup are being hosted at Alan Lewer Box Court. The inaugural Next Gen…