MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Councillors still split over Yarraville paid parking

Councillors still split over Yarraville paid parking

Maribyrnong councillors remain at loggerheads over paid parking in Yarraville as losses stemming from the impasse head towards the million-dollar mark.

Councillors last Tuesday voted to keep parking meters turned off in Yarraville village and central Footscray until a new parking policy is prepared in coming months.

An estimated $600,000 has already been foregone since paid parking was suspended in December.

Last week’s council meeting revealed clear animosity remaining between Labor and independent councillors over the introduction of parking meters to Yarraville last August.

Cr Nam Quach said there had been “some very disappointing elements” to the 18-month campaign against the meters.

“I fully acknowledge that the dynamics of the paid parking have some peculiarities. However, the overall result is that … [when the meters were operating] visitations rose,” he said.

parking2

Cr Quach called for a draft policy “that is applied to the whole city, not excluding areas where there is extreme violence and vandalism and conjecture”.

Cr Michael Clarke accused Cr Quach of being misleading, given the biggest increase in parking turnover was during Sundays when parking was free.

“I really hoped we were going to [move] from what was armchair conjecture to an evidence-based approach,” he said.

“You clutch at straws, looking at any piece of evidence to support your own argument, to try and put lipstick on a pig.”

Cr Grant Miles said there was merit to the ‘thermostat’ model suggested by transport policy specialists Phillip Boyle and Associates in their parking report.

“We can use that in Yarraville, in terms of early in the morning when they were under-used,” he said. Cr Martin Zakharov linked parking fees with the four Yarraville businesses that closed during the paid parking trial period.

“I’m not saying that was the only issue, but you don’t normally find that many businesses in a fairly vibrant shopping strip disappearing in that period of time,” Cr Zakharov said.

Cr Sarah Carter said a new policy was two years overdue and could have saved “years of heartache” for council, residents and traders.

Mayor Cameron McDonald said the parking policy would take the issue away from councillors and hand it to the chief executive.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…