MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Sponsored Content
Home » In Business » ATO warns community against fraud

ATO warns community against fraud

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is warning the community, such as residents in Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay, not to engage in tax fraud and to be wary of criminals tricking people or stealing their personal information.

The ATO is investigating approximately $850 million in potentially fraudulent transactions to around 40,000 individuals through Operation Protego.

With the average fraudulent amount claimed being $20,000, banks and financial institutions are partnering with the ATO to freeze bank accounts belonging to those suspected of tax fraud.

Intelligence information is being sent from banks to the ATO, which has in turn been identifying suspicious tax refunds.

Many frauds see offenders attempt to gain a false GST refund by creating fake businesses and Australian Business Numbers (ABN) then submitting fake Business Activity Statements (BAS).

The ATO is warning people not to engage in this behaviour, and for participants to come forward and avoid further consequence and potential criminal action.

Law enforcement agencies are also working closely with the ATO to bring criminal action against those who deliberately and willingly partake in fraud schemes.

The ATO’s deputy commissioner and chief of the Serious Financial Crime Taskforce, Will Day, says many people are sharing techniques for fraud on various social media platforms.

“We are working with social media platforms to help remove content promoting this fraud, but if you see something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is,” Mr Day says.

“The people who have participated in this fraud are not anonymous – we know who they are and we will be taking action.”

“We are urging anyone involved to face the music and come forward now, rather than face even tougher consequences later including penalties and criminal charges.”

Mr Day acknowledges that legitimate taxpayers may be delayed in receiving their refunds due to the extra steps introduced to the process to deter and prevent fraudulent refunds from being paid out.

He also understands that some people may have unknowingly been caught up in fraudulent tax transactions.

“People who have participated in this fraud may have unwittingly followed advice they have read online, claiming to help access a loan from the ATO, or receive other financial government support such as a disaster payment,” says Mr Day.

“However, for others, there was nothing accidental or unintentional about setting up a fake business in their own name and seeking an unearned refund.”

“Circumstances where there were deliberate attempts to defraud the ATO or a refusal to organise repayments will lead to tougher actions, including criminal action.”

For more information, visit www.ato.gov.au.

Digital Editions


  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

More News

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…