MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Hobsons Bay in disarray over early learning centres decision

Hobsons Bay in disarray over early learning centres decision

Tuesday night’s Hobsons Bay Council meeting collapsed in disarray after councillors were split over a decision to outsource Altona Meadows and Altona North early learning centres for 170 children.

Earlier, concerned parents had met with Australian Services Union organisers, who later converged on the council chambers.

The decision to outsource was made in-camera or behind closed doors. Cr Tony Briffa had been overseas at the time, last night’s meeting heard.

Cr Luba Grigorovitch told the meeting that councillors who voted to outsource – understood by the Weekly to have been a unanimous decision by those present – “were not well enough informed about wages and other variables”.

She moved an urgent motion to defer the outscourcing pending  “proper and thorough community consultation”, saying that given most childcare workers were women, a wage cut would be “a slap in the face for 52 per cent of the population”.

Cr Briffa was the only councillor to support the motion to block the move.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Post a comment below

The Weekly was told 80 childcare staff had to reapply for their jobs and if successful, would retain their pay but only until their current enterprise agreement ran out in 2016.

Councillors Colleen Gates and Peter Hemphill voted with mayor Sandra Wilson to continue plans to contract out the centres, while Paul Morgan abstained from voting and Angela Altair had left earlier due to family commitments.

In a rare scene, usually rival councillors Briffa and Grigorovitch, who unsuccessfully voted to stop the move, were seen shaking hands at the meeting’s close.

Councillors Hemphill and Wilson declined to comment.  

Cr Wilson had said was inequitable to other ratepayers for the council to keep the centres in-house.

“We needed to find a more sustainable way to have good quality childcare and that is why we decided to stop directly managing these two childcare centres and lease them out, as we do the other 18 in the municipality – and as many other councils have done as well,” Cr Wilson had said before the meeting in a statement to the Weekly.

“The tenders will only be open to not-for-profit organisations to make sure the children continue to come first.

“We’ll subsidise the new managers to pay the higher wages of the staff until 2016 when our current workplace agreement runs out.

“By moving to this other model would mean the council will have an additional $300,000 to use on other services.

“So we’re making this decision to be fair to all the people we are responsible for in Hobsons Bay.”

ASU women’s officer Jane Karslake said the decision desserted families and workers.

“Cr Wilson has said that this decision is based on cost saving, but where does council intend to save money?

“The bottom line is council wants to spend less on wages, which will translate into a loss of service for the children of Altona

“Childcare is one of the most important ways Councils can invest in communities.”

“Hobsons Bay mayor Sandra Wilson has said that the environment in childcare delivery has changed, citing the Early Learning Framework and National Competition policy.

“The ASU believes these arguments are bogus and suggest that the decision has been poorly considered.”

Digital Editions


  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised…

More News

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…