MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Deportation worries behind man’s death, say friends

Deportation worries behind man’s death, say friends

Members of Australia’s Eritrean community gathered in Seabrook on Sunday to mourn the death of an asylum seeker.

Rezene Engida, 40, is believed to have taken his life on Wednesday.

Family and friends say that Mr Engida, who arrived in Australia five years ago but did not have permanent residency, was increasingly worried he would be sent back to Eritrea.

Family friend Risson Welela said that Mr Engida came to Australia on a marriage visa but had separated.

‘‘There was quite a lot of frustration for him, in terms of finalising the status of his stay and basically that led to him just taking that momentous decision in his life and saying, ‘Look, I can’t take it any more’, and then he just walked to the Maribyrnong River and it led to what happened.

‘‘Everyone around was shocked. The lesson to learn is that should there be any issues in the community, what can everyone do, to make everyone’s situation better.

‘‘The community is coming together, and supporting the family as well is the main [priority] going through this difficult time.’’

Mr Engida’s cousin, Seabrook man Fessehaye Messu, said his immigration case was all that Mr Engida talked about.

‘‘The whole process is taking nearly five years. It’s a long, long, long process.

‘‘With this long time, his depression is coming up. Every day he was depressed.

‘‘Then he’s thinking he would be returned to home.’’

African Think Tank chairman, Dr Berhan Ahmed, said the Eritrean community was uniting to share their grief and raise funds to repatriate Mr Engida’s body ‘‘in keeping with the tradition and customs of the Orthodox Christianity practices’’.

‘‘He’s been here for some time trying to settle, find a job,’’ Dr Ahmed said. “He’s tried quite a number of ways to get himself to fit into the society, but he’s been waiting, frustrated with the paperwork taking so long.

‘‘And when you don’t have that paper, you are blocked from so many things.

‘‘This man has gone through so many frustrations. In fact, he’s got a trade: he’s a good builder.

‘‘His case was not going anywhere. His final destiny was to return to Eritrea. He was very anxious in how he would have been treated if he was there because he ran out of the army. Today is about bringing the community together to mourn. It was a shock because a lot of people knew him in Footscray, in Flemington, all around the inner west and inner north. He was so very nice and very intelligent in many ways.’’

Pamela Curr, of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, expressed shock at hearing of the death. ‘‘[It is] unbelievable that Australia would even consider returning an Eritrean back to Eritrea.

‘‘For God’s sake, there is no country in the world that I know of that is returning Eritreans.’’

A spokesperson for Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said Mr Engida was not an asylum seeker because he had entered Australia legally on a provisional spousal visa in 2009.

» Lifeline: 13 11 14

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…