MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Toyota Altona: Warning for Prime Minister over jobs losses

Toyota Altona: Warning for Prime Minister over jobs losses

A Toyota worker made redundant three years ago says Prime Minister Tony Abbott should “think very carefully” about new jobs for workers hit by the closure of Toyota’s Altona manufacturing plant in 2017.

Former union shop steward Fadi Hassan told The Weekly he was still out of work three years after being made redundant.

“Mr Abbott, he’d better think very carefully how he’s going to find jobs for all these people,” he said.

“I am 50 years old and nobody wants to take me, you know.

“I have no disability, I have no sickness, I don’t even have blood pressure, and I can’t find a job.”

Mr Hassan’s comments were echoed by community leaders, who expressed their disappointment at the federal government’s inability to save the plant, which is one of the west’s biggest employers.

Hobsons Bay councillor Luba Grigorovitch, who heads a Victorian union, posted on Facebook that “by his own admission, Tony Abbott couldn’t answer the phone when Toyota rang as he was too busy announcing the anti-union witch-hunt.”

Hobsons Bay mayor Sandra Wilson said the council was committed to the long-term economic success of the city.

“There are many opportunities for new investment, diversification and the creation of new jobs,” she said.

Toyota Australia president and chief executive Max Yasuda said on Monday that 2500 workers directly involved in manufacturing would be impacted when the plant stopped building cars in Australia at the end of 2017.

The plant has been building cars in Australia since 1963.

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union organiser Darren Dwyer said 200,000 jobs could be affected.

He said the closure became inevitable after previous departure announcements by Ford and Holden.

“That supplier base can’t really support one company,” he said. “And that was really probably the end of it.

“This was the last one. The industry’s gone now.”

The Weekly asked Toyota global president and chief executive Akio Toyoda his thoughts on union claims that 200,000 people could be affected by Toyota’s decision.

“First of all, when I think of what kind of anxieties that our employees may have hearing this decision about their future, it is extremely heartbreaking,” he said.

“Because of that I did want to come here directly for myself and to speak with my own words directly to our people.

“Therefore, when we knew when this decision was going to be made, even though it was a short lead time, I had made arrangements to prioritise being here.”

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…