MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Hobsons Bay car job losses are set to mount

Hobsons Bay car job losses are set to mount

Hobsons Bay will lose more than 6000 jobs in three years time as a result of Australia’s auto industry closures, a University of Adelaide study has found.

The study by the Australian Workplace Innovation and Social Research Centre (WISeR) and National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) analyses direct and flow-on job losses resulting from the closure of Toyota, Holden and Ford.

It predicts 200,000 job losses nationwide, about half of those in Victoria.

Hobsons Bay will be the state’s fourth hardest hit municipality with $840 million lost from the local economy along with 6000 jobs by the end of 2017, the study finds.

Worst off will be the City of Melbourne with nearly 14,900 jobs gone, followed by Hume (8815) and Greater Dandenong (7556).

The study found that job losses would be worse if the Australian dollar fell to 65 cents of the American dollar.

About 2500 workers from Toyota’s Altona plant last week voted on a redundancy package that would give them four weeks’ pay for each year of service, capped at 22.5 years.

About 15 per cent of workers are aged over 55 and 20 per cent under 33, with the majority in between.

About 10 per cent of the plant’s workforce lives in Hobsons Bay.

The study found that more than 2350 Hobsons Bay residents would lose their jobs in the vehicle manufacturing sector four years after the closure of car manufacturers.

Hobsons Bay mayor Sandra Wilson said more than 930 local jobs went at the end of March, with the city braced for the pending 6000 job losses.

‘‘Across the western region, more than 14,000 jobs by ‘place of work’ will be lost over the next four years or some 18,820 based on where people live,” she said.

She said the council wanted “much greater commitment” from state and federal governments to support workers, businesses and the local economy.

“We understand the Victorian government is finalising its $30 million automotive workers support package. The council hopes that it includes local support for workers transitioning out of the auto industry.”

The state funding is part of a $155 million national package of support, including contributions from the federal government, Holden, Toyota and Victorian and South Australian governments.

Toyota spokeswoman Beck Angel would not comment on the redundancies but said the company was focussed on supporting workers affected by the company’s decision to stop building cars in Australia in 2017.

“We have established a dedicated team that will organise job centres and relevant training so that employees can have more confidence about their future job prospects,” she said.

Digital Editions


  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety…

More News

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…

  • Stars coming to Altona North

    Stars coming to Altona North

    International box lacrosse is coming to Altona North. Both the Next Gen Series and the IIJL Commonwealth Cup are being hosted at Alan Lewer Box Court. The inaugural Next Gen…

  • Focus on transport future

    Focus on transport future

    Transport affects every part of daily life. It shapes how we get to work and school, connect with friends and family, and enjoy our beautiful city. That’s why it’s so…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…