MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Altona beach penguins’ death: Calls for ban on nets

Altona beach penguins’ death: Calls for ban on nets

UPDATE: About 30 dead penguins that washed up at Altona beach on August 20 were killed in a commercial fishing net, an investigation by the Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) has found.

The finding has led to calls for mesh or ‘‘mash’’ nets – sunken nets that stand up like a wall from the bottom – to be banned in Port Phillip Bay.

DEPI officers interviewed a commercial fisherman following a call from a member of the public.

“The fisherman co-operated fully with DEPI officers and gave admission to the penguins becoming inadvertently trapped in his net.” DEPI spokesman Travis Dowling said.

“He was devastated. As the entanglement was an accident, no legal action will be taken.’’

Mr Dowling said it was a sad and unfortunate event. ‘‘DEPI is now working with the fishing industry to better understand how this occurred and what measures can be implemented to better protect our wildlife and prevent this happening again.’’

An angler, who asked not be named, said mash nets should be banned, as they were in Western Port Bay.

“These mash nets, they’ll set a mile of them along there from near the Williamstown [Timeball] tower all the way along, and everything that comes into shore at night gets caught,’’ he said.

“They get snapper, they catch seals, they get everything. Mash nets should be banned in the bay because this is what happens. Every time there’s a net, there’s an accident.”

Phillip Island is home to Victoria’s largest colony of little penguins, which are protected under the Wildlife Act.

DEPI said in the case of an accident, it was not an offence to dump dead or injured protected animals or not report their deaths.

Asked if it believed mesh nets should be banned, DEPI said it would “improve reporting requirements for any interactions of commercial fishers with protected species”.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…