MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Terror raids: Seabrook man remanded in custody

Terror raids: Seabrook man remanded in custody

SEE VIDEO BELOW

UPDATE: A 23-year-old Seabrook man on Tuesday appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court charged with funding a US citizen to fight with a terrorist organisation in Syria.

Hassan El Sabsabi was arrested at his home after more than 100 Victoria Police and Australian Federal Police officers raided seven properties in five suburbs at 6.45am.

Search warrants were executed at homes in Seabrook, Broadmeadows, Flemington, Kealba and Meadow Heights as part of Operation Honensalzburg.

Police seized a large amount of electronic devices including computers and hard drives. 

The raids by the joint counter-terrorism team were the culmination of an eight-month investigation involving the FBI.

Australian Federal Police assistant commissioner Neil Gaughan earlier said it was alleged El Sabsabi transferred $12,000 to an American man he knew from social media and that he intended to transfer further funds.

He said police alleged he intentionally made funds available to a terrorist organisation, knowing it was a terrorist organisation.

“We will allege the organisation was a proscribed terrorist organisation,” assistant commissioner Gaughan said.

“We further allege the man provided approximately $12,000 in funds to support a US citizen currently fighting in Syria.

“We have gone earlier today [Tuesday] as we are of the view that further funds were about to be transferred to the person in Syria.

“Today was an overt action to resolve the matter.

“This is the first time in a terrorism environment that we’re aware that an Australian citizen has sponsored or paid for a citizen of another country to go into Syria or Iraq to fight.”

He stressed there was no information or intelligence to indicate El Sabsabi was involved in planning an attack.

Assistant commissioner Gaughan said the El Sabsabi was believed to have been operating by himself. The raids were not connected to Numan Haider, 18, who was shot by police outside Endeavour Hills police station after injuring two officers with a knife. 

Victoria Police deputy commissioner Graham Ashton said the raids were conducted in a “low-key manner” because there had been no threat to the community.

“This is a terrorism financing case,” he said.

“We didn’t assess there being a significant community safety risk or significant risk to our officers.”

He said no explosives, firearms or weapons were seized.

El Sabsabi made no application for bail and was remanded in custody until February 7.


Digital Editions


  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf…

More News

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…