MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Maribyrnong Immigration Detention Centre detainees flee

Maribyrnong Immigration Detention Centre detainees flee

Security is being reviewed at the Maribyrnong Immigration Detention Centre after at least five people escaped in the past four months.

In the most dramatic incident, members of an outlaw bikie gang reportedly freed a fellow gang member as intimidated guards looked on.

Leonard Gjeka was sprung from the Maidstone centre in November after two bikies cut a hole in a fence, entered the centre and led him away to waiting motorbikes.

The Adelaide underworld figure was being held after his visa was revoked on character grounds. Police had reportedly wanted Gjeka held in a high-security facility. He was on the run for eight days before being recaptured and deported to his native Albania.

A New Zealand man reportedly escaped in the same incident.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said Gjeka’s deportation came 42 days after his recapture and he had been banned from ever returning to Australia.

“Mr Gjeka is a perfect example of somebody we do not want in this country,” Mr Dutton said.

“He arrived in Australia on a false passport and made numerous attempts to remain permanently but all failed.”

In January, a Chinese detainee jumped over the fence from a roof to escape. Last week a former prisoner awaiting deportation to Vietnam fled the centre in the same manner at 4.40pm on Tuesday. An asylum seeker escaped at 2.30pm on Wednesday while being escorted to his Migration Review Tribunal hearing.

Both of last week’s escapees remain on the run.

A spokesman for centre operators Serco deflected inquiries to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

A departmental spokeswoman said the circumstances of escapes were investigated by the detention services provider and all escapes were referred to the department’s detention assurance team.

“Reports are submitted to the department for review of agreed recommendations that reduce the residual risk of escape,” she said.

The escapes come as the department investigates allegations that security guards at the centre may be using excessive force against detainees. Serco has confirmed it has dismissed two staff following complaints about harassment and bullying.

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…