MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » A $10 million slam dunk for Shorten Reserve

A $10 million slam dunk for Shorten Reserve

A new RecWest building in Footscray could be a step closer to becoming a reality, with Footscray MP Katie Hall visiting Shorten Reserve on Monday, October 10 to announce a re-elected Andrews Labor Government would commit $10 million towards the delivery of the Shorten-Barrett Reserve Masterplan.

The master plan would also include a new multi-use court for basketball and netball with seating and lighting, oval and pavilion upgrades, the delivery of a new bocce court, a Scouts outdoor activity area and new multi-use cricket nets.

Ms Hall said the Labor party was proud to support the community sporting clubs in the inner west.

“I’m so proud to have worked with the Roosters, Bokkers, the Druids and local residents to secure up to $10 million for new facilities and upgrades at Shorten Reserve and RecWest,” she said.

“This funding will help deliver new modern club rooms and a competition grade oval that will be loved by the community for decades to come.

“Across the road, RecWest at Barrett Reserve will be redeveloped with a new multi-use court for basketball and netball.”

As reported by Star Weekly, wet weather has caused damage to Shorten Reserve and further work would be required to make way for any redevelopment.

Community Sport Minister Ros Spence said the Andrews Labor Government has invested more than $1.6 billion to upgrade and improve local recreation reserves and sports grounds, making them better for local families.

“This redevelopment is a great example of how the Andrews Labor Government is making sport more accessible, welcoming and inclusive.”

In 2018, Maribyrnong council undertook a feasibility study which analysed the existing condition and use of RecWest Footscray, whilst also exploring the suitability for redevelopment with consideration for future use and community needs/expectations.

As a result of failing building conditions and the pressing need to accommodate existing and future demand for a variety of community uses, Maribyrnong council adopted the West Footscray Community Facilities Plan in 2020 and conducted an environmental audit and risk assessments.

Digital Editions


  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called…

More News

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…

  • Sports’ finals joy

    Sports’ finals joy

    After a number of tough seasons, Altona Sports is excited for a big finals series in the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Having had its top side drop from division 1…

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…