MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Buyer seeks to remove covenant

Buyer seeks to remove covenant

An application has been lodged in the Supreme Court to modify a covenant on a landmark Altona house so six dwellings can be built on the site.

The two-storey clinker brick house on two blocks in Maidstone Street was sold recently for more than $1million.

An application has been lodged to modify a covenant which prohibits more than one dwelling on each lot.

Graham Griffiths jnr said his father built the house from a design in an American Cape Cod designs book.

“It was built in 1956 from Glen Iris ‘Coronation’ clinker bricks – Coronation as they were stamped with a crown for Queen Elizabeth’s wedding,” he said.

“Maidstone Street wasn’t properly constructed then, no gutters or footpaths.

“We lived in it from 1956 to 1973. Then it was sold after my parents split up.

“The highest bid was $18,000 and mum said I could have it for $9000 to pay off dad. I didn’t want it.”

Aitken Partners, which is acting for the applicant, was contacted for comment.

 

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…