MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Altona developer loses appeal

Altona developer loses appeal

Questions remain after an Altona developer selling apartments off the plan lost his appeal for an extension of time to start building.

George Gabriel appealed to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for an eighth extension of time to start building seven dwellings and a coffee shop at 114 Civic Parade.

The tribunal heard Mr Gabriel was first issued a planning permit in 2007 and had already received seven extensions.

VCAT member Megan Carew said the council refused Mr Gabriel’s latest request because it believed there was “evidence of warehousing over the past 10 years”.

Mr Gabriel informed the tribunal he had appointed real estate agents for pre-sale in January 2017 with the pre-sale of unit 1 in May 2017.

Ms Carew said there was a question of whether the proposal was at a point where it was “ready to go”.

“I am not persuaded on the material and evidence before me that the applicant is ready to commence construction within the one year extension.”

The council said if a fresh planning application for the development was made today, it would be prohibited because of changes to the planning scheme made in March 2017.

Mr Gabriel did not return Star Weekly’s request for comment as to the future of his development.

 

Digital Editions


  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and…

More News

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…