MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » ASRC says refugees and asylum seekers were left behind in this years budget

ASRC says refugees and asylum seekers were left behind in this years budget

The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) has said asylum seekers and refugees have been “left behind” in the 2022-2023 Federal Budget.

The Budget, announced March 29, states that the government’s Humanitarian Program will remain at 13,750 places in 2022-23.

The ASRC has called this intake “a ceiling”, and referred to the fact that Australia only granted 5947 resettlement visas (4558 offshore visas and 1389 permanent Protection visas) last year, well under the allocated limit.

They also expressed frustration at the exclusion of refugees and asylum seekers from the $250 Cost of Living Payment, intended to help eligible recipients with higher cost of living pressures.

The government announced they will provide $665.9 million over 4 years from 2022-23 for an additional 16,500 humanitarian places for Afghan nationals, a move that the ASRC said was positive.

In addition, they pledged $9.2 million in 2022-23 to extend Youth Transition Support services, which will continue to support increased participation in education and community sport, as well as help with the transition to employment.

Chief executive and founder of the ASRC Kon Karapanagiotidis OAM said despite some positive announcements, the Budget was still “a missed opportunity to correct the many issues with our current immigration and refugee system.”

“Additionally, expenditure continues to be wasted on the chaotic, cruel and broken detention and offshore processing system,” he said.

“The additional humanitarian intake from Afghanistan, thanks to the tireless work of people from Afghanistan in Australia, is welcome.”

ASRC director of advocacy and campaigns Jana Favero said while it was clear public sentiment had changed in regards to refugees, she was concerned about how excluded they still were from mainstream support services such as Centrelink.

“People who arrived on our shores seeking safety are still held against their will in detention and excluded from mainstream social services when released,” she said.

“But we will keep fighting so the winds of change go from a slight breeze to gale force until all refugees and people seeking asylum are treated with the dignity and fairness they deserve.”

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…