MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Boat ramp upgrade downgraded

Boat ramp upgrade downgraded

A major upgrade of the Altona boat ramp has been quietly been shelved more than four years after it was announced.

In a statement to Star Weekly, Better Boating Victoria (BBV), a division of the Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA), confirmed the Altona boat ramp upgrade had been identified as medium priority in the Victorian Recreational Boating Strategy 2021-2030.

“This assessment was made based on feedback from boaters that the site had capacity constraints during peak periods but was in good overall condition,” a BBV spokesperson said.

This is in stark contrast to BBV’s social media post announcing the Altona upgrade on January 13, 2021.

“Thanks to the government’s commitment to improving boating across Victoria, $100, 000 has been provided to develop concept designs that will increase car and trailer parking and improve functionality and congestion at the Altona facility,” read a screenshot of the post seen by Star Weekly.

“We will be working closely with Hobsons Bay City Council, who will deliver the project.”

In February 2022, Hobsons Bay council announced the final concept designs had been completed, showing the upgrade remained a priority more than a year later.

But according to Seabrook resident Darren Ryan, Altona boat ramp users like him have been kept in the dark ever since.

“My major complaint is not that it hasn’t gone ahead, it’s that there’s been no communication,” Mr Ryan said.

He said an official told him the upgrade would cost more than the organisation’s entire annual budget, and that he and other recreational boaters should ask the state government to increase their registration fees from $80 to $1500 per year, to pay for it.

BBV didn’t directly address the comments, but it’s understood the official has since apologised.

A council Hobsons Bay spokesperson said the Altona ramp was listed as in ‘detailed design phase’ in the Victorian Recreation Boating Strategy Action Plan 2024-2025, but council had received no updates since.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…