MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Brooklyn dust levels drop

Brooklyn dust levels drop

Victoria’s most polluted suburb has recorded its lowest level of dust since recording started in 2009 – but it was still more than three times the limit deemed dangerous by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Last financial year, Brooklyn residents suffered 17 days of dust levels as high as those experienced during the Black Saturday bushfires, compared with 29 the previous year.

WHO warns that people should not be exposed to such levels of particle pollution more than five days a year.

Last month, work started on a $2.6 million state government and Brimbank council project to seal Jones and Bunting roads, which collectively produce more than 30 per cent of the precinct’s dust emissions.

Williamstown MP Wade Noonan said that while dust levels still exceeded the national standard of air quality, the reduction was a promising sign. “I’m hopeful that the sealing of Jones and Bunting roads will have a positive impact on air quality.”

Brooklyn Residents Action Group secretary Bert Boere said the dust reduction was a step in the right direction.

“My concern would be to understand why, and if it’s going to be a permanent thing,” he said.

EPA manager Daniel Hunt said considerable effort had gone into lowering dust levels with more than 20 pollution abatement notices in force.

 

Digital Editions


  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and…

More News

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…