MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Call for security patrol pause

Call for security patrol pause

More than 100 people attended a community safety forum in Footscray on Thursday, demanding Maribyrnong council pause plans to use private security guards to patrol the Footscray CBD.

The August 14 forum was organised by Footscray Community Response, an organisation opposed to plans for a security crackdown in the CBD.

Those in attendance voted in favour of calling on council to pause the security program so it can conduct more community consultation and provide more evidence that it will be effective.

The security program, which allows for private security guards and council by-laws officers to conduct patrols in central Footscray, was endorsed by Maribyrnong council at at meeting last month.

Maribyrnong council did not respond to inquiries before deadline.

“There is a history in Maribyrnong of using by-laws in ways that harm vulnerable community members,” Footscray Community Response spokesperson and former Maribyrnong councillor, Jorge Jorquera told the forum.

“It’s not a question how ‘nice’ the security guards are, the overall model of using by-laws against vulnerable people is wrong.”

Mr Jorquera was joined by other guest speakers at the forum including South Sudan Child First Education executive director Malual Deng.

“Footscray is special to African communities,” Mr Deng told the forum.

“We want to be part of the solution. This place is our home.”

However another representative of the local African community claimed forum organisers cut her off when she spoke in support of more security in Footscray .

United Nicholson Street African Traders Association representative and local restaurant owner, Nagwa Yassin, said she was highlighting the safety threat posed to women running businesses along Nicholson Street from drunk and intoxicated men, when she was shut down.

“I did not get my message across,” Ms Yassin said.

“When you are representing an organisation you should be given enough time to speak. But because we were going against their argument they did not want to hear it.”

Mr Jorquera denied this, saying Ms Yassin was only cut off because she exceeded the three minute time limit afforded to all speakers from the floor.

Vision of the forum seen by Star Weekly confirmed this.

Digital Editions


  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently…

More News

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…

  • Sports’ finals joy

    Sports’ finals joy

    After a number of tough seasons, Altona Sports is excited for a big finals series in the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Having had its top side drop from division 1…

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…