MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Cedar Meats cluster grows

Cedar Meats cluster grows

A growing coronavirus cluster at Brooklyn-based Cedar Meats has been linked to infected workers at a Footscray aged care home and Sunshine Hospital.

The meat processing plant located in Brimbank had been linked to 71 new COVID-19 cases as at Friday and also accounted for a rise in active cases – where a person hasn’t yet recovered – in several neighbouring municipalities.

As at Friday, Maribyrnong had 15 cases and Hobsons Bay 18, including nine active in total.

The number of cases within Brimbank has leapt by more than 20 in the past fortnight, with 56 now confirmed. There are currently 18 active cases within the municipality, the highest number in the state.

Wyndham had 46 cases, including 14 active.

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos confirmed an infected worker at Doutta Galla Aged Care in Footscray was “a close contact of a worker at Cedar Meats”.

The aged care employee last worked at the facility on April 26, Doutta Galla Aged Services said in a statement.

“There is not an outbreak nor a COVID-19 cluster, and no resident or staff are showing signs of infection,” Doutta Galla said.

“We continue to practice enhanced infection control and cleaning protocols.

“In addition to the extra cleaning we had already implemented some weeks ago, a daily deep and detailed clean of the whole facility has commenced.

“Additional staff have been brought in to support the home as we continue to provide the highest standard of care and support to our residents.”

Two dozen staff at Sunshine Hospital were forced to self isolate after a worker from the factory who came in for emergency surgery on a severed thumb later tested positive for the virus.

Western Health chief executive Russell Harrison on Wednesday confirmed a hospital worker tested positive.

“Unfortunately one of the Western Health staff members in self-quarantine following exposure to a patient who was later diagnosed with COVID-19, has since tested positive for the virus,“ he said.

“Western Health is providing all the necessary supports for the staff member, who continues to self- isolate at home and we will continue to liaise closely with them.“

Premier Daniel Andrews defended his government’s handling of the outbreak.

“I am very proud in the public health team in the response that they have provided to every positive case and this outbreak was singled out by Brendan Murphy, the Chief Medical Officer of the Commonwealth singled this out at national cabinet as a model example of how to deal with an outbreak,“ Mr Andrews said.

The first case within the abattoir was confirmed a month ago.

The government was told the infected worker had told them they had not been at work for a number of weeks.

Mr Andrews said he had no reason to think the government was provided false information.

“Regardless of where you work, if you say, ’I have not been to work for four weeks’, then we take you on face value. The assumption is that people are giving us the accurate story,“ he said.

“If we assume that everyone wasn’t, I don’t know if we could ever have enough contact tracers. We wouldn’t need 1000, we would need 100,000 perhaps. It would become impossible.“

Digital Editions


  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne.…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…

  • Stars coming to Altona North

    Stars coming to Altona North

    International box lacrosse is coming to Altona North. Both the Next Gen Series and the IIJL Commonwealth Cup are being hosted at Alan Lewer Box Court. The inaugural Next Gen…