MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Concerns raised over homeless housing project

Concerns raised over homeless housing project

A chorus of concern is building against a project which will provide housing to the homeless in Footscray and Maidstone.

Not-for-profit agency Launch Housing is seeking to provide 57 new relocatable one-bedroom townhouses across nine VicRoads-owned land parcels along a two- kilometre stretch of Ballarat Road.

While some residents have thrown their support behind the $5 million proposal, others fear the project provides too little parking and poor waste disposal, while it could devalue surrounding properties and have an unwelcome social impact.

A neighbouring resident, who asked not to be named, said his concerns were around violence and drugs – issues which have been cited in an anonymous letterbox drop in the area.

“No matter how much Launch Housing tries to paper over the community’s concern with the social issues these developments represent, they are real and frightening,” he said.

“To congregate 57 of these houses in such a small radius, in a tiny pocket of Footscray, is poor and irresponsible planning by the council and Launch Housing.”

Another objector said the plans were deceptive, with too little parking, and Footscray already had a large amount of public housing.

“We residents feel that we are part of a social experiment,” the objector added. “We are sure that some homeless people are perfectly nice people who have fallen on hard times, but we are also not naive to the fact that many homeless people have issues with drugs, alcohol, mental illness and criminal activity.”

A third objector said the staggered way individual properties were revealed left residents unable to understand the complete picture until some permits had already been passed. One resident complained that the sites would have the appearance of trailer camps.

A Launch Housing spokeswoman said parking concerns are being addressed by planning experts, while regular inspections will be carried to ensure small mezzanine storage spaces are not being used for accommodation.

The spokeswoman said Launch Housing had already developed projects of this scale and had evidence that they worked well.

“The character of the people housed by this project is not subject to planning approval,” she said.

“Around 95 per cent of people who are either at risk of homelessness or experiencing homelessness have no need for support or access to other services.

“They are homeless purely as a result of the lack of secure and affordable housing in Melbourne.”

Three of the sites have received the approval of Maribyrnong council, while six remain under consideration.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with an inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the…

More News

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…