MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Coroner probing cause of Tottenham warehouse fire

Coroner probing cause of Tottenham warehouse fire

A coronial investigation is underway into a massive inferno that blazed for days in Melbourne’s inner-west.

Coroner Darren Bracken has instructed Victoria Police to compile a brief into the suspicious fire that destroyed a warehouse in Tottenham on August 30.

Coroners are permitted to investigate certain fires, even when the fire did not result in the death of a person.

Star Weekly last week reported warnings by authorities that the fire was so fierce investigations may never be able to determine exactly what chemicals were being stored on site.

Victoria Police arson and explosive squad detectives have been investigating the fire since it was flagged as suspicious by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.

The 14,000 square metre fire was fuelled by a range of illegally stored chemicals and materials at the site, spewing a toxic smoke plume across Melbourne’s western suburbs and heavily contaminating nearby Stony Creek and parkland.

WorkSafe has confirmed the site was not registered for the storage of dangerous goods.

A WorkSafe and EPA blitz on 110 industrial sites in the surrounding area in the fire’s aftermath identified 74 contraventions relating to the handling and storage of dangerous goods.

Coroner Darren Bracken, a former barrister and police detective, confirmed on Tuesday he was investigating the fire following requests from the MFB and the United Firefighters Union.

He said he had determined that it is in the public interest to investigate the fire and instructed Victoria Police to compile a coronial brief.

The probe will focus on determining the cause and origin of the fire and the circumstances in which the fire occurred.

Coroner Bracken also has powers to make recommendations to address any systemic issues identified during the investigation.

Work is meanwhile continuing on the removal of contaminated silt from Stony Creek.

Melbourne Water has so far removed 170 cubic metres of contaminated silt, with a further 500 cubic metres expected to be removed from the creek between the fire site and Paramount Road by next March.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…