MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Councillors debate Palestine petition

Councillors debate Palestine petition

Disappointed residents walked out of a Hobsons Bay council meeting, after a heated debate addressing a petition relating to the overseas conflicts seen in Palestine.

In its meeting on Tuesday, February 13, all councillors voted in favour to accept a petition calling for the council to show support for Palestine.

In the same item, councillor Tony Briffa tabled a notice of motion titled, ‘support for Hobsons Bay residents impacted by overseas conflict.’

Councillors Daria Kellander and Peter Hemphill abstained from voting as they didn’t support the written recommendation embedded with the petition.

“Council accepts petitions from members of our community every month,” Cr Kellander said.

“Council must resolve to receive the petition and refer the matter for a future report.”

In this instance a variation of business was written into the agenda to merge the petition with a notice of motion, which Cr Kellander said isn’t within protocol.

“The executive made the decision to bring this petition forward in line with their assessment of the governance rules,” she said.

“I believe the executive needs to follow the governance protocol like all other petitions and write their response to it.

“So I won’t be supporting the actual written recommendation that’s embedded within this.”

In a show of support for Cr Kellander’s speech, members of the gallery clapped and proceeded to heckle at other councillors.

A chant of “free, free Palestine” erupted in the chambers, followed by outcries that Hobsons Bay council has “blood on their hands”.

Members of the gallery said that the notice of motion does not address the petition.

The petition called on council to raise a motion which calls for an immediate and permanent ceasefire which they say was not addressed in Cr Briffa’s motion.

Several members of the gallery left before Cr Briffa spoke to the motion.

Cr Briffa spoke to her motion saying that the federal government is already calling for a ceasefire among other government bodies.

Cr Kellander reiterated her earlier message adding she is “disappointed” councillors haven’t received any “real advice” from the executive in response to the petition.

“I don’t believe that Cr Briffa’s notice of motion actually responds to the topic at hand.” she said.

In a back and forth debate, Cr Briffa said she has had discussions with various groups in preparation for putting the motion together and she is grateful to the Hobsons Bay community for their input.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…