MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Djerriwarrh Health Services board sacked

Djerriwarrh Health Services board sacked

The entire board was last week formally sacked at the Bacchus Marsh hospital where seven baby deaths in two years are being investigated.

The eight board members of the Djerriwarrh Health Services were given until earlier this month to plead their case.

Last Thursday, Health Minister Jill Hennessy said she had met with all the board members but nothing had persuaded her that they should stay on.

“This is one of the greatest clinical governance failures that we’ve seen in the Victorian health system,” Ms Hennessy told reporters.

Dr John Ballard, former chief executive of Mercy Health, has been appointed administrator.

Andrew Freeman has been appointed chief executive.

Ms Hennessy said there were “no financial consequences” for the government terminating the board’s tenure.

In March, an analysis by the Consultative Council on Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity found the death rate at the Bacchus Marsh Hospital was higher than average.

It also showed that the hospital’s practices may have contributed to seven infant deaths over two years.

“I would like to see accountability for those that have contributed to some of the most devastating outcomes for families,” Ms Hennessy said.

She said the hospital was supposed to accommodate low-risk births. “Very sadly it didn’t and that has had life-changing consequences with devastating impacts for too many families.”

Negligence claims

Medical negligence lawyers say dozens of people have contacted them about their care at the hospital since news of the scandal broke earlier this month.

A spokeswoman for Maurice Blackburn said they had received 52 inquiries from people who felt they had received poor care at the hospital.

Anne Shortall, of Slater and Gordon, would not say exactly how many people the firm had heard from, but she said they had received many inquiries, including some from people about obstetric and gynaecological treatment at other hospitals in regional Victoria.

“The inquiries we have received are wide-ranging in terms of type of injury sustained and timeframe, with some reports of poor treatment and injury dating back more than a decade,” she said.

Dr Ballard said the booking list at the hospital was now “very well filled”.

However, he confirmed some women had cancelled plans to give birth at the hospital.

Dr Ballard said the hospital was seeking a new head of obstetrics.

By Benjamin Preiss, The Age

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…