MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Driver jailed for fatal Ring Road crash

Driver jailed for fatal Ring Road crash

 

A truck driver who caused a six-car pile-up that resulted in a woman dying 12 days later has been sentenced to a minimum two-and-a-half years jail.

Terrence Paul Nicholson pleaded guilty to one charge of dangerous driving causing death and one charge of being the driver of a vehicle that was moving on a road and using a mobile phone.

The County Court heard Nicholson was driving an empty cattle truck along the Western Ring Road, near the Boundary Road exit, about 6.08am on June 16, 2016, when he failed to stop his truck in time and hit the rear of the car in front of him.

The crash caused a chain reaction, with six cars in total being hit.

The driver of the car Nicholson hit, a mother of two, was trapped in the wreckage for nearly an hour and was flown by air ambulance to the Alfred Hospital with head injuries. She died 12 days later.

The court heard that although Nicholson had not been speeding at the time of the collision, his speed of 99km/h was too fast for the traffic conditions.

Nicholson had also admitted to using a mobile phone while behind the wheel about six minutes before the collision.

Judge James Montgomery noted that Nicholson, who had been psychologically assessed as having a learning disability that had never been addressed properly, made an early plea and was genuinely remorseful following the crash.

Despite this, Judge Montgomery said the crash was easily avoidable.

“Given the sight distance available to you in the lead-up to the collision, a minimum of 500 metres, and that you were 38.7 to 60.8 metres from the deceased’s vehicle when you first perceived the hazard in front of your truck, it is my view that this was a serious breach of the proper management and control of your vehicle.

“By your actions, you placed a number of other motorists in a position of severe risk or either serious injury or death.”

Nicholson was sentenced to four years’ jail with a two-and-a-half year minimum, is disqualified from driving for the next decade and was fined $500.

Digital Editions


  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February…

More News

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…