MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Fight to fund Epilepsy foundation

Fight to fund Epilepsy foundation

A Melton mum is on a mission to highlight the “wonderful” work of the Epilepsy Foundation that is set to lose more than $1 million in annual state government funding.

When Julia Vieira’s eight-year-old daughter Liliana was diagnosed with myoclonic epilepsy three years ago, the family didn’t know where to turn. Ms Vieira said the hospital couldn’t be of further help after Liliana was discharged, so their neurologist suggested they contact the Epilepsy Foundation.

“You ring them up and they are on the phone assisting you,” Ms Vieira says. “If the person, or the family, is going through depression, the foundation can assist. If those services aren’t there, who’s going to help us?

“There’s no one else out there to listen to you – your doctor is too busy, hospital is overwhelmed and they don’t know how to handle it further than observing and monitoring.”

The Epilepsy Foundation, MND Victoria, Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s Victoria will lose in total $5 million state government funding from July 1, 2019, as the National Disability Insurance Scheme fully rolls out.

These four organisations collectively support more than 80,000 people.

Ms Vieira said the Epilepsy Foundation provided support for her in her darkest days, and any blow to funding will come at a cost to the lives of people living with the neurological conditions and their families.

“It’s just very scary,” Ms Vieira said. “Neurologists have said Liliana can die at any stage in her sleep, as a seizure can affect her while she’s sleeping.

“We have a baby monitor, a camera with a motion sensor … a camera system on my mobile phone. She’s not allowed to swim on her own, she’s not allowed anywhere in the house on her own. I’m constantly on edge every day.

“It can be stressful, but the Epilepsy Foundation encourage me in every way. They encourage me to be the best person and mother I can be.”

A spokesman for the foundation said 80 per cent of Victorians who have epilepsy are not covered by the NDIS. And those who are, won’t have their management plans funded.

The foundation is calling on people to contact their state MP to highlight the need for funding to continue. Ms Vieira has started a petition at bit.ly/2CruJ4B.

The state government was contacted for comment.

Digital Editions


  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

More News

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…