MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Footscray Primary School scraps west’s only bilingual program

Footscray Primary School scraps west’s only bilingual program

UPDATED: The west’s only bilingual school program may be back next year despite being scrapped by the school.

Footscray Primary School last week wrote to parents announcing the school has not employed enough qualified teachers to staff the Vietnamese bilingual program for 2019.

The letter, from principal Philip Fox, stated that a “number of different options” were being considered in place of the long-running practice of classes being taught in Vietnamese for up to five hours a week.

The immersive language program first faced the axe in 2016 until being saved by a parent-led campaign and intervention by the state education minister.

Star Weekly understands the co-ordinator of the program has taken up a position at another school after learning it would not be continued.

But following outcry from parents and Vietnamese community leaders, the Department of Education and Training has vowed to work with Footscray Primary School to recruit bilingual teachers for 2019.

“While the school is currently experiencing some difficulty staffing their Vietnamese bilingual program, the Footscray community can be assured that the Department will reinstate the program as soon as an appropriate teacher is found,” a spokeswoman said.

“Language and culture are an important part of keeping schools at the heart of communities, and Footscray Primary School is a great example of this.”

Hoang Tran Nguyen, a father of two at the school, said parents had been disappointed by the scrapping.

He said the program was the reason he had decided to enrol his children at the school.

“I was born in Vietnam and came to Australia as part of the Vietnamese refugee diaspora,” he said.

“The program has roots in the migrant diaspora in the area, and with the recent changes to the area I think it’s even more important to have something like this.”

Mr Nguyen said language skills gained via the program could not be replicated via truncated two-hour LOTE programs.

He said independent research has shown the broader educational benefits of bilingual learning.

School council president Justin Mansfield said the council was taken by surprise by the decision.

“I am extremely disappointed at the school admin’s inability to successfully foster the bilingual program,” he said.

“The lack of imagination and grudging support from admin that surrounded the program made it inevitable that a day like this would arrive.”

Mr Mansfield said the decision was especially concerning given the promise of a review of the program slated for next year.

“This decision pre-judges that process as there is no point in reviewing a program that has already been cut.”

Vietnamese Community in Australia: Victorian Chapter president Viv Nguyen has written to the school, Footscray MP Katie Hall and education minister James Merlino seeking intervention to ensure the program can run until a review is undertaken.

“It’s always difficult once something stops to be able to restart it,” she said.

Star Weekly sought comment from the school and the office of Mr Merlino.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…