MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Gangs prey on men in homophobic Footscray Park attacks

Gangs prey on men in homophobic Footscray Park attacks

Police are stepping up patrols in Footscray Park in response to a spate of homophobic attacks.

In a series of violent incidents since January, victims have reported being abused or lured and set upon by groups of men.

Warnings about the attacks have been shared on gay hook-up websites, such as Squirt, and a number of incidents have been reported to the Victorian AIDS Council (VAC).

Squirt users have written of attacks by groups of men “looking for trouble”, and jumping out of bushes with bars.

VAC chief executive Simon Ruth told Star Weekly that violent homophobic incidents have been occurring in parks and public places around Melbourne since January, and particularly at Footscray Park.

These include homophobic abuse, physical violence and death threats, as men are lured to secluded areas then confronted by large groups of men.

“Homophobia is always very concerning, and all violence is absolutely unacceptable – nobody should need to feel unsafe,” Mr Ruth said.

“We are working hard to build the confidence of people to come to us or go to the police, but given the nature of these spaces, we can only assume most people don’t feel confident in coming forward.”

Mr Ruth said the incidents appear to be occurring late at night under cover of darkness.

He said it is vital all incidents are reported to police, to help raise awareness of and prevent homophobic violence.

Footscray police inspector Adrian Healy said police are aware of reports and have increased foot patrols of the area by LGBTI liaison officers.

“Our message is to encourage reporting. This can be anonymous, if people prefer,” he said. “It’s incumbent on anyone who has experienced a problem down there to let us know; it could stop it happening to someone else.”

Inspector Healy said police have worked with the VAC to spread warnings via gay dating app Grindr and signs posted at the park.

He said in his experience it has been vital to catch offenders before the problem escalates.

“My biggest concern with this sort of pack behaviour, picking off vulnerable people, is that you can get even more violent attacks.”

A candlelight vigil has been organised in the park, to reclaim the space and say no to violence, this Thursday night.

Report suspicious incidents to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or VAC on 9865 6700.

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…