A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday.
The $1.5 billion hospital is set to open on 18 February, eight years after it was first announced and five years since construction work began.
But to coincide with the milestone, Victoria’s Health Workers Union (HWU) has called a statewide strike after more than a year of unsuccessful enterprise bargaining talks.
The HWU is planning a mass rally outside the newly minted hospital on the corner of Ballarat and Geelong roads following previous events in front of the premier’s office and state parliament.
Premier Jacinta Allan said the transfer of patients from the old Footscray Hospital to the new one had been meticulously planned and argued it was pre-emptive to suggest any strike action would have an impact.
“We continue to negotiate in good faith,“ Ms Allan said.
“Because we back our health care workers.“
The HWU represents cooks, cleaners, orderlies, security guards, ward clerks, allied health assistants, theatre technicians and phlebotomists.
It is seeking a 12 per cent wage rise over two years, but has been offered an increase of about 3.3 per cent a year over three years.
More than 97 per cent of members voted to reject the “insulting“ offer and extend work bans through February.
With about 10,000 workers walking off the job on Wednesday, the union warned patients to brace for surgery cancellations and disruptions across more than 80 health services.
“Industrial action will continue unless Jacinta Allan ends this dispute,“ a union spokesman said.
“Only she has the power to strike a deal that gives health care workers a liveable wage.“

















