Hobsons Bay council worker tests positive

A Hobsons Bay council worker has tested positive to COVID-19. Photo: Supplied

Goya Dmytryshchak

A Hobsons Bay council worker has tested positive to COVID-19.

It comes as Victoria recorded 300 new cases of coronavirus by Friday and seven more deaths.

Hobsons Bay had 64 active cases out of a total of 125 on Friday.

The council said in a statement on Friday night the employee was in isolation and all Department of Health and Human Services requirements were being followed.

“Council is currently undertaking a deep cleanse of the relevant facility, as well as a range of other measures as per DHHS protocols, to protect our staff and community,” it said.

“Our staff member has not been in contact with residents while carrying out their work.

“However, when a diagnosis occurs close to home, it is a strong reminder for our entire community to remain vigilant in following the state government pandemic restrictions.”

Victoria Police fined 101 people for breaching stage 3 stay-at-home restrictions or not wearing a mask on Thursday – the first day face coverings became mandatory.

One man claimed he was travelling from Laverton to Mordialloc to buy cigarettes, and was fined $1652.

Sixteeen people were fined for not wearing a face covering, including a Wyndham man who refused to put a mask on even when given one by officers.

Other reasons given to police for refusing to wear a mask included a man who said the rules didn’t apply to him and a man who believed coronavirus was a conspiracy.

Outbreaks at local meat processors include 74 cases linked to Somerville Retail Services in Tottenham, 62 cases linked to JBS in Brooklyn and three cases linked to Diamond Valley Pork in Laverton North.

Three cases have been linked to Sims Metal Management in Brooklyn.

Cases have been linked to five new aged care facilities including Japara Yarra West in Yarraville.

Sacca’s Fine Foods at Altona Gate shopping centre in Altona North reopened on Friday after confirming no new positive cases from any staff members.

An employee had been diagnosed with COVID-19 after working at the fruit and vegetable market and continental deli from July 8-12.