MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Hobsons Bay recycling off to landfill due to SKM closure

Hobsons Bay recycling off to landfill due to SKM closure

Close to 200 tonnes of recycling material collected in Hobsons Bay each week will once again be dumped in landfill after the EPA ordered contractor SKM Recycling to stop receiving recyclable materials.

EPA Victoria on Thursday ordered the beleaguered company to stop receiving recyclable materials at their Coolaroo glass recycling facility, leading to a closure of its four recycling processing facilities in Laverton North, Coolaroo, Geelong and Hallam until further notice.

The facility was the site of two fires earlier this year.

EPA has identified large volumes of new combustible waste materials accepted at the site in contravention of notices issued in the wake of the fires.

EPA Resource Recovery Facilities Audit Taskforce Manager Danny Childs said the company’s stockpiles are in breach of the Waste Management Policy and it cannot receive further combustible waste at the site until EPA is satisfied it has gained compliance.

“A large volume of glass waste it has received at the site has been contaminated with other types of waste, such as mixed plastics and paper and has resulted in an increased fire risk within stockpiles, he said.

“The current state of the company’s stockpile could create a significant challenge for fire authorities if ignited. A fire at the site has the potential to be a significant pollution event which could be harmful to local communities and the environment.

SKM provides recycling services for more than 30 councils, collecting about half of Victoria’s kerbside recyclables.

The councils are bracing for the worst after SKM founder Giuseppe Italiano warned he was closing the business.

While Hobsons Bay waste and recycling collections will continue as normal, about 175 tonnes of recyclables collected each week will be sent to landfill from Friday.

The Council issued a statement that it shared the disappointment of this news with the community and was working hard on a solution.

“We will keep the Hobsons Bay community updated as the situation progresses.

“In the meantime, if you can hold back your recycling, you are most welcome to do until recycling continues as normal.”

The Council has been working with the state government and other service providers on immediate options, but said there is no viable option for the short term storage and management of recyclable material.

Hobsons Bay mayor Jonathon Marsden earlier this week said it has been a frustrating period of uncertainty for the area’s recycling service.

“From SKM’s temporary closure in February we are fully aware of the vulnerability of Victoria’s recycling industry and are working through a number of options with the aim of minimising the impact on residents,” he said.

“Unfortunately the remaining two waste operators – Visy and Polytrade – are already at or nearing their capacity so we are investigating a range of other options.”

The state government is scrambling to attract an alternative waste collector in a bid to avoid up to 400,000 tonnes of recyclable material going to landfill each year.

The Municipal Association of Victoria says councils may struggle to find alternatives, given their experience when SKM facilities were shut down earlier this year.

The opposition has labelled the situation a “recycling fiasco”, but Environment Minister Lilly D’Ambrosio said on Sunday the government had been working with the councils who have contracts with SKM to look at alternatives for managing kerbside recycling collection.

SKM’s ongoing non-compliance is unacceptable and we make no apologies for taking the necessary action to protect the community from dangerous waste stockpiles,” she said.

Maribyrnong Council recycling contractor Visy remains unaffected and collection and processing will continue as normal.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…