MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Machete bins rolled out

Machete bins rolled out

Two machete disposal bins will be located in Melbourne’s inner west as part of a two-month amnesty period during which people are being urged to safely dispose of the weapon.

The safe disposal bins will be located at Footscray and Altona police stations, along with other police stations throughout Melbourne’s north west from September 1 to November 30.

The bins will be accessible 24-7 and will be roughly 900 millimetres by 1200 millimetres in size, with a 70 millimetre concrete base to ensure they are secure and have feet to allow for safe removal.

The amnesty period will coincide with a statewide machete ban which will make owning, carrying, using, buying, or selling a machete without a valid exemption or approval a criminal offence from September 1.

During the amnesty period, people can hand in a machete without penalty.

Anyone who fails to do so could face up to two years’ imprisonment or a fine of more than $47,000, the state government said.

According to the government, agricultural workers who use machetes as part of their job and machetes that are used in a traditional, historical, or cultural capacity will be exempted.

Anyone covered by an exemption must comply with strict conditions and be able to demonstrate eligibility if asked by police.

Police Minister Anthony Carbines said the government had a simple message to anyone who owned a machete.

“Get rid of them or face the consequences,” he said.

“We’re backing Victoria Police who work tirelessly to get these weapons out of young people’s hands and keep people safe.”

Premier Jacinta Allan said machetes destroyed lives.

“Victorians have zero tolerance for knife crime and so do we – we’re enacting this ban and boosting Victoria Police’s powers because community safety always comes first.”

The government introduce an interim sales ban on machetes in May in response to a knife attack at Northland Shopping Centre.

Since then Consumer Affairs Victoria has inspected more than 470 retailers to enforce the ban – with only seven stores and one market vendor found to be breaking the law.

Details: vic.gov.au/machete-amnesty.

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…