MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago.

However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape of the same woman 21 months earlier due to insufficient evidence.

Michael Francis Martin, 70, had initially been charged with seven offences over two alleged sex attacks in the early 1980s.

He faced Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday 18 February where he was committed to stand trial on three charges over the alleged 1983 rape of grandmother Jessie Grace Lauder.

DNA evidence from the scene was found of sufficient weight for a jury to decide whether he was guilty or not guilty of those offences, allegedly committed on 6 July,1983, at Ms Lauder’s Newport home.

Martin denies all offending and was asked to stand as he pleaded “not guilty” to each of the three charges.

He had also been accused of four charges over a 1981 alleged attack on Ms Lauder, then-aged 82, with the prosecution relying on coincidences and similarities between to two events as they lacked DNA evidence.

Martin had been charged with offences including intent to commit assault with an offensive weapon and aggravated sexual assault.

Prosecutors alleged 13 factors pointed to Martin being the offender in both rapes, including that each incident occurred at the same place, against the same person and around a similar time.

The Crown argued the offending circumstances were similar as they said Ms Lauder was told to lie on the floor on each occasion, remove her clothing and had been asked not to call police.

Martin’s defence team submitted six features were dissimilar between the two events, including use of a weapon, demands for Ms Lauder to be quiet and the taking of money.

Magistrate Rohan Lawrence said the offending was “most serious and certainly traumatic” but found the prosecution’s features were common across “many instances of sexual offending by an intruder”.

“I do not believe there is a reasonable possibility that the Crown would be permitted to rely on coincidence reasoning to argue that the accused was responsible for the first offending,” he said.

“Accordingly, I will discharge Mr Martin on charges one to four.”

He said all of the offending allegedly committed against Ms Lauder was “reprehensible”.

However, it was not committed in a way that would provide the prosecution with a “strong argument” that the two alleged attacks were perpetrated by the same person, Mr Lawrence said.

Additionally, Ms Lauder died in 1993 and cannot be called as a witness to give evidence about the incidents.

Martin was placed on trial bail and will face the County Court for a directions hearing on 18 March .

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

Digital Editions


More News

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…