MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Melbourne doctors join push for evacuation of children from Nauru

Melbourne doctors join push for evacuation of children from Nauru

Inner-west doctors have joined the growing chorus calling for the government to remove all children and their families from Nauru.

Doctors from Footscray’s Eleanor Clinic have joined hundreds of colleagues from across Australia in writing to their local Federal MPs demanding an end to the stalemate that has left 52 young children, all recognised as genuine refugees, languishing on the remote Pacific island.

Australian Border Force says 652 refugees and asylum seekers, including 52 children and 107 family members, are on Nauru.

Eleven children have so far been brought to Australia in recent days for urgent medical treatment.

Eleanor Clinic GP Dr Antje Theilhaber said the Australian government must act now to bring all remaining children and their families to safety.

“There is no reliable medical care at all for children and adults there,” he said.

“At the moment the decisions on whether or not they are flown for care is overlooked by bureaucrats who don’t have any medical training.”

Dr Antje said it is a basic human right for every child to have a safe place and appropriate health care.

“I am a mum and every night I tuck my kids into bed and I know that they are safe,” she said.

“These children are in detention because their parents were so worried about their safety that they were just trying to get to a safe place; it’s a plight they would never choose to be in.”

Dr Antje, who migrated to Australia from Germany, said Australia’s regime of indefinite offshore detention has badly damaged its international reputation.

“When I go back to Europe people ask ‘what is Australian doing with these refugees?’, and I’m deeply ashamed. Australia is not doing itself any favours internationally.”

The political stalemate over the fate of the children could be nearing a breakthrough after Labor outlined a compromise plan that would enable the transfer of up to 150 people from Nauru to New Zealand.

Footscray-based Asylum Seeker Resource Centre has been pivotal in assisting children move from Nauru to Australia for medical treatment.

Chief executive Kon Karapanagiotidis said the critical situation on Nauru is well documented by organisations including the ASRC and Medicines Sans Frontiers’ (MSF).

He said children and their families cannot wait for case by case emergency transfers via legal intervention.

“The fate of children on Nauru now rests squarely with Prime Minister Morrison – he must act now to transfer children and their families to Australia immediately to safety for proper medical care,” he said.

“This is a humanitarian crisis that needs a solution above politics. Our parliament must provide that solution.”

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…