MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » More delays for Newport childcare centre

More delays for Newport childcare centre

Parents waiting for a Newport childcare centre to open say they have been left in limbo by constant delays with some unable to return to work or having to put their children in other centres.

Nino Early Learning Adventures was originally slated to open in March this year.

However, in correspondence seen by Star Weekly, parents were told the centre would open in late April or early May.

In a subsequent letter dated June 12, the “Nino Management Team” stated the centre’s “expected opening date for July is now unachievable”.

“As you are aware, over the past months the construction (undertaken by the building owner) located at 519 Melbourne Road, Newport, has had ongoing setbacks and delays that have been challenging and out of our control but most disappointingly this has not allowed us access to the building to complete the centre’s set up for operation,” it stated.

“The building owner has not been able to connect a power supply, thus continuously delaying the possibility of finalising the build and allowing Nino Early Learning Adventures access.

“Due to these circumstances we must inform our families that we are unable to provide a confirmed date of operation.”

A Newport mother, who wished to remain anonymous, said she had since put her son in another centre. “Like many new parents, my partner and I put our child’s name down at Nino last year after being told the brand new centre would be opening in March,” she said.

“But then the opening date was pushed back to April or May, then July and now they’re saying they can’t guarantee when it’s going to open at all.

Nino spokesman Luke Agosta said the building delays were “totally out of our hands”.

“We’re not building the centre, we are the operator only, so we have absolutely no recourse other than obviously be in constant contact with the builder, the owner of the property.

“We’re desperate to get in there ourselves to meet the expectations of those parents.

“It’s imminent now … but I wouldn’t give a date.”

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…