MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Multicultural hub receives crucial funding

Multicultural hub receives crucial funding

A not-for-profit community centre in Seddon has secured half a million dollars in funding for upgrades to ensure it can continue supporting multicultural and migrant communities.

The Australian Multicultural Community Services’ Millennium House was built by refugees from the Polish community who came to Australia in the 50’s.

On May 10, multicultural affairs minister Ros Spence announced the multicultural hub was awarded a $500,000 grant to contribute to structural upgrades.

This round of grants from the Multicultural Community Infrastructure Fund is providing more than $4.5 million to be shared by 30 community organisations across the state.

Upgrades to the Millennium House will mean an increased capacity to support people from multicultural backgrounds including seniors, newly arrived migrants, refugees, women, young people and children.

Activities within the space that will be able to be held include adult education classes, emergency relief, employment pathways support, ethno-specific social support groups and respite for carers.

Australian Multicultural Community Services chief executive Elizabeth Drozd said the organisation was appreciative of the commitment to multicultural communities from the state government.

“This investment will aid us in our mission to care for, support and empower, whilst providing a safe, functional and well managed centre to benefit the wider Maribyrnong multicultural community,” she said.

Footscray MP Katie Hall said Millennium House provides a place for all people to come together and celebrate that diversity.

“Millennium House is an icon of acceptance and hope within our community, a place that provides so much for people wishing to start a new life in the inner west,” she said.

“This grant will enable Millennium House to continue to provide invaluable assistance to those who need it.”

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…