MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » New plans lodged for Club Edgewater site

New plans lodged for Club Edgewater site

A multi-storey hotel and apartment complex flagged for the site of the half-built Club Edgewater project could be “called in” for a decision by Maribyrnong councillors.

The trouble-plagued $30 million club project, which was to include a gaming lounge with 70 gaming machines, up to 40 hotel rooms and 12 double-storey residential apartments, was abandoned in 2015 when Western Bulldogs and developer Prizac parted ways after an acrimonious falling out.

Maribyrnong Council has confirmed to Star Weekly that a new application has been lodged for 31 Edgewater Boulevard, behind Maribyrnong Aldi, for a multi-storey residential, hotel and commercial development.

New plans were lodged with the council in May, but the application has not been revealed until now.

An architectural render of the proposal. Image supplied.
An architectural render of the proposal. Image supplied.

Maribyrnong council planning services director Nigel Higgins said the proposal was not required to be advertised as it is “generally consistent” with the approved development plan for the overall Edgewater Estate.

The proponents last year tried to leverage opposition to poker machines into support for doubling the building’s height to incorporate 70 hotel apartments, 133 residential apartments and a 200-seat rooftop restaurant.

However, the Western Bulldogs have since sold all gaming entitlements associated with the approved development. Planning approval for the club is due to expire in January.

Planning documentation states that the future manager of the building would be Adara Hotels, which operates complexes in Richmond and Collins Street. Adara did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

The site as it currently stands. Photo by Benjamin Millar
The site as it currently stands. Photo by Benjamin Millar

When contacted by Star Weekly, a representative of Prizac refused to comment other than to say he would “make an announcement at the appropriate time”.

Residents Against Inappropriate Development in Maribyrnong spokesman Enzo DeFazio said the project was a “massive overdevelopment”, given the planning scheme for the Edgewater Neighbourhood Activity Centre recommends a height of three storeys. He said a parking shortfall would place more pressure on already strained street parking.

“Of course we would love to see something done with this site as it’s been an eyesore for many years now,” he said.

“However, what is being proposed is more in line with a Major Activity Centre such as Highpoint and central Footscray.”

Maribyrnong deputy mayor and ward councillor Sarah Carter said she has asked for a full briefing on the proposal and has flagged “calling it in” so councillors, rather than council staff, have the final say.

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…