MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » New safe driving campaign

New safe driving campaign

A new road safety campaign is directly targeting Victorian traffic offenders in an effort to educate drivers on the real cost of risky behaviours, to themselves and the community, including those in Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has launched the new ‘Dear Driver’ campaign, which uses traffic infringement letters to educate offenders through real-life stories of survivors and a first-responder.

The TAC has collaborated with Fines and Enforcement Services, Department of Justice and Community Safety (DJCS) and Victoria Police to develop the innovative campaign, which focuses on offenders caught speeding, running a red light, and illegally using a device while driving.

Offenders who receive an infringement notice will now find a letter written by VIC SES first-responder, Mark, reflecting on his first-hand experience with road trauma – a reminder that while a hefty penalty may feel harsh, things could have been much worse.

The letter ends with the QR code, directing offenders to one of three emotional video messages, depending on the infringement type, where either Mark or two other road trauma survivors share their personal story of when the offender’s driving behaviour has impacted them.

The campaign comes as 258 people have lost their lives on Victorian roads so far this year, exceeding the total number of fatalities in 2023 (241).

TAC chief executive Tracey Slatter said more than 7000 driving infringement notices were issued across Victoria each day, providing a unique opportunity for the TAC’s Dear Driver campaign to communicate directly with known offenders.

“Dear Driver is a bold initiative, speaking directly to those who need our message most. Through empathy and real-life stories, we hope to ignite a change in behaviour and pave the way to safer roads,” she said.

“This campaign is a call to all drivers to reflect on their actions, change their behaviour, and take an active role in driving down road trauma on Victorian roads.”

The final step of the campaign asks offenders to make a pledge to drive safely, by signing their name and clicking a ‘commit’ button.

“Road safety is more than rules and penalties – it’s about people’s lives. By connecting with offenders on an emotional level, we hope to bring about a cultural shift towards safer decision making on our roads,” Ms Slatter said.

By directly targeting offending drivers, the TAC aims to influence the perceptions and reinforce the very real consequences of risky and illegal driving behaviours.

The Dear Driver infringement notices campaign is an initiative of the Victorian Road Safety Strategy 2021-2030, which commits to the ambitious target of eliminating death from our roads by 2050.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with an inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the…

More News

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…