MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Newport footballer tests positive, Coles an exposure site

Newport footballer tests positive, Coles an exposure site

A Newport footballer has tested positive to COVID-19, as six new locally acquired cases were recorded on Thursday.

The Western Region Football League (WRFL) said the senior player from Newport Football Club received the positive result yesterday.

The player participated in the West Footscray versus Newport senior men’s match at Shorten Reserve in West Footscray on Saturday, July 31 at 2.15pm.

“The player began to feel unwell this week and did not attend club training on Tuesday, and was confirmed as having COVID-19 on Wednesday,” the league said in a statement.

“On learning of the positive case, Newport Football Club immediately advised all players and officials to get tested and isolate until further notice.

“The matter is in the hands of the DHHS … and the WRFL in conjunction with AFL Victoria will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

Coles at Yarraville has been added as a tier two exposure site after a case attended the supermarket on Thursday, July 29, between 4.30pm and 5.30pm.

The health advice for a tier two site is to get tested urgently and isolate until a negative result is received.

People should continue to monitor for symptoms and get tested again if symptoms appear.

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…