MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Newport level crossing designs released

Newport level crossing designs released

The final designs for the Newport level crossing removal project have been released.

The designs for the new rail bridges that will carry passenger and freight trains over Maddox Road, along with a new pedestrian and cycling bridge at Champion Road were unveiled by Transport Infrastructure Minister Gabrielle Williams on Wednesday 12 November.

The state government said the designs were shaped by community feedback and showcase Newport’s natural beauty and industrial heritage while improving safety and connectivity – including a right-turn lane for cyclists on Maddox Road.

The Maddox Road rail bridge celebrates the foreshore and wetlands with coastal-inspired curves and soft blue-green screens, while the Champion Road bridge features imagery of the historic Newport Railway Workshops and Jawbone Flora and Fauna Reserve, the government said.

As part of the level crossing removal Akuna Drive will be connected to Maddox Road to provide a route for local motorists.

According to the government, designs for improvements to local open space are still being developed, with more information to be shared next year.

The government expects the project to include about 145 large trees and more than 35,000 plants, shrubs and grasses planted throughout the area.

Major works on the project will ramp up this month, with buses to replace trains on sections of the Werribee line from Thursday 13 November to Sunday 16 November.

To keep trains running and avoid a months-long complete shutdown, services will run on a single track between Laverton and Newport from Monday 17 November until late April next year.

Citybound services will run express from Laverton to Newport and outbound services will stop all stations via Altona, Westona and Seaholme on the Altona Loop.

Passengers travelling to the city from Altona, Westona and Seaholme can travel by shuttle bus to Newport Station, or by train to Laverton Station, where they can continue their journey to the city by train. We thank the community for their patience while these arrangements are in place.

“We’re getting rid of the two level crossings in Newport, delivering safer and more accessible connections,” Ms Williams said.

“With major works ramping up this month, we’re one step closer to a level crossing free Werribee Line by 2030.”

The final designs can be viewed at levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/newport

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…