MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Newport Masonic Hall facing demolition threat

Newport Masonic Hall facing demolition threat

Newport’s iconic Masonic Hall may be torn down after developers lodged plans to demolish the 1924 heritage building.

A structural condition assessment report lodged with a planning application to Hobsons Bay Council found the building was “not suitable for continued use” as part of a proposed four-storey apartment and retail redevelopment.

“The building has received little maintenance over many years, resulting in significant deterioration of its structure, particularly the vertical elements,” the report added.

But the demolition proposal has met strong community resistance, the planning application already attracting more than 200 submissions.

A 2006 Hobsons Bay Heritage Study found the former Freemasons Hall to be historically, socially and aesthetically significant because of the importance of Masonic associations to the development of Newport, the building’s prominent position and neo-Grecian design.

Williamstown Historical Society president Brian Haynes said the Masonic Hall had been on the site for 91 years and was a landmark for the region.

“While it’s acknowledged that the building is in poor condition, I feel, at the very least, the facade should and can be kept,” he said. “Newport has few structures remaining from the past.”

A 2012 plan by the owners to retain the facade and demolish the rest of the building was rejected by Hobsons Bay councillors and the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal.

Tribunal member Rachel Naylor noted the building had significant heritage value and she placed “limited weight” on expert heritage evidence from architect Bruce Trethowan, saying he was not an independent witness as he had signed the permit application form.

“One would hope that an owner of an individually significant heritage building would seek to maintain it to the best of its abilities,” she said.

Mr Trethowan remains linked with the latest proposal, listed as the contact on the planning application and providing a letter in support of the building’s demolition.

“The retention of the building cannot be countenanced and the only course available is demolition,” it states.

“My opinion is that demolition should take place as soon as possible in order to avoid any possible damage to the public or property.”

His letter suggested elements from the existing building could be incorporated into an “interpretative feature” as part of any new building on the site.

The 14-day submission period ends on Thursday, however Hobsons Bay Council will accept submissions right up until a decision is made.

Mr Trethowan did not respond.

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…