MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Operation Arid to target March motorist madness

Operation Arid to target March motorist madness

Police are urging motorists to pay extra care and attention on the roads this month, with March considered to be the most dangerous period on Victorian roads.

The warning comes as police launch Operation Arid this Friday, a statewide road police effort targeting high-risk driving behaviour across the Labour Day long weekend in an effort to reduce road trauma.

While March is traditionally known in Victoria for a full calendar of major events, festivals, sports and entertainment, it is also synonymous with having the highest volume of road trauma in both metropolitan and regional Victoria.

Historically, March has the highest average injury collision volume of any month of the year, almost ten per cent higher than any other month.

Injury collisions in both metropolitan and regional Victoria have peaked in March over a five-year average.

Injury collisions where speed was a factor, where a motorcyclist or heavy vehicle was involved, and young drivers were involved also all peaked in March.

In 2024, there were 30 lives lost during in March, the second highest for the year behind November (36) and marking the worst March on record since 2011, with 34 lives lost.

“What we don’t want to see is another March with high numbers of injury collisions and fatalities, so we’ll be doing everything we can to ensure we don’t have a repeat of this,” said Road Policing Acting Assistant Commissioner, David Byrt.

“We need everyone to do their part, and our number one message is to stay alert behind the wheel and never be complacent – it can only take one second of distraction or a simple driving error for a collision to occur.”

Operation Arid begins at midnight on Friday, March 7 and concludes at midnight on Monday, March 10.

“We know this long weekend is a busy period for events and a popular time to travel, so we’re preparing for lots of Victorians hitting the roads over the coming days,” said Assistant Commissioner Byrt.

“We’ll be out in force across the state and doing our bit to ensure everyone is being safe, adhering to the road rules and not putting others at risk.”

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…