MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » ‘Pam the Bird’ accused makes fresh bid for freedom

‘Pam the Bird’ accused makes fresh bid for freedom

The accused graffiti vandal behind “Pam the Bird” has made a fresh bid for freedom, with his grandmother promising to keep him in line if he is released.

Jack Gibson-Burrell, 21, allegedly broke into Victorian train stations, abseiled off buildings and scaled heritage-listed sites to spray-paint the cartoon-like bird.

He’s further accused of stabbing a man in West Footscray, punching a worker in the face at Emporium Melbourne, stealing multiple cars in Torquay and ramraiding a Nandos restaurant in Footscray.

Gibson-Burrell was denied bail on February 5 when Magistrate Johanna Metcalf found he was an unacceptable risk of reoffending because the social media notoriety was too enticing for him.

Barrister Peter Matthews SC made another application on Tuesday, claiming the risk was now reduced because Gibson-Burrell had a stable address, job prospects and a $30,000 surety.

His grandmother Joan Bell, 78, told the court Gibson-Burrell could live at her home in Geelong and she would ensure he followed any bail conditions.

She had previously worked at a backpackers and as a festival security guard so she knew how to handle young people, Ms Bell told the court.

“It’s my house, my rules,” she said.

Ms Bell accepted her grandson had a Ballarat job offer and she would be willing to drive close to three hours a day to bring him to work if needed, given he only held a learner’s permit.

“If that’s required, that’s what I’ll do,” she said.

Gibson-Burrell’s friend Finley Dale also offered up a $30,000 guarantee to the court, understanding he would lose his money if his friend breached his bail conditions.

Mr Matthews said the job offer, surety and stable address were protective factors to reduce the risk of reoffending.

The court could also impose conditions like a curfew, mandatory reporting at the police station and a ban on spray-painting graffiti if needed, Mr Matthews said.

But Senior Constable Scott Nicholls urged the magistrate to once again refuse Gibson-Burrell bail, maintaining he was still a danger to the community.

He told the court Gibson-Burrell’s offending had escalated and he did not believe Ms Bell would be able to restrain him.

“If he is released on bail, I believe he will wreak havoc on Victorian streets,” Senior Constable Nicholls said.

Ms Metcalf is due to hand down her bail decision on Thursday morning.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…