MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Plea to axe big build

Plea to axe big build

Footscray locals are pleading with the state government to stop their neighbourhood from being taken over by a new multi-storey healthcare centre.

As previously reported by Star Weekly the planning permit for this nine-storey health centre was knocked back by Maribyrnong council at its November meeting.

Despite this refusal, the final decision is with the state government given the large cost of the build.

Nearby home owner Anson Le said the proposed use of the land at 5-11 Geelong Road, Footscray, is not suitable for the development proposed by Erica Heathcare Partners.

“A small number of households, including myself, received a letter from Urban Planning Collective informing us of the proposal and where we could submit feedback,” he said.

“The letter was delivered on January 24, informing everyone that a decision could be made by February 5 at the earliest.

“It only really gave us a few business days to digest the proposal, meaning we had less time to put forward our objections.”

With limited community consultation and a number of site concerns, Mr Le is adamant this is not the right location for a build of this size.

“It is going to be completely dominant in the skyline and is going to be directly overlooking every single direct neighbour’s backyard as it will be 40 metres high,” he said.

“The building is too big, it’s going to completely dwarf everything around this neighbourhood which is predominantly made up of low rise residential homes.”

But, Mr Le says the main reason residents are against the development is due to the lack of engagement and discussion. He said the community had been completely ignored in the process and there had been no direct communication with the community.

Residents have created a Change.org petition against the development which has accumulated more than 180 e-signatures. They have also sent a number of objections through to the Department of Planning, as well as various correspondence with Footscray MP Katie Hall as well as councillors.

Maribyrnong council chief executive Celia Haddock said council did not support the proposal in November and that hasn’t changed.

“Council believes the development’s overall scale would overwhelm the residential area to the south and east of the proposed development,” she said. “Council has expressed a need for the state to engage meaningfully with council and residents regarding the proposal.”

A Department of Transport and Planning spokesperson said the plans for the proposed private Footscray facility are still available online.

“No decision has been made and we welcome submissions from the community which will be considered as a part of the decision making process.“

A spokesperson for Erica Healthcare Partners said “We do not wish to comment as the matter is currently being considered via the planning process”.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with an inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the…

More News

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…