MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » New policy to drive parking meters

New policy to drive parking meters

Parking meters in Footscray and Yarraville will remain switched off for at least another month as Maribyrnong council seeks feedback on a new draft parking policy.

But the policy is already under fire from two councillors who say it’s being rushed and lacks sufficient detail.

Chief executive Stephen Wall last week presented a draft Destination Parking Management Policy to councillors.

The policy is in response to the switching off last December of parking meters in central Footscray and Yarraville village in the face of a widespread public backlash. The suspension of meters is likely to strip more than $1 million from council coffers.

The policy recommends the preparation of local activity centre reports, reviewed every five years, as well as “triggers” to review parking controls that would seek feedback from residents and traders.

Cr Martin Zakharov said the idea of a Maribyrnong-wide policy had the support of Yarraville residents and businesses who had fought the introduction of parking meters. Cr Michael Clarke said the policy would introduce reason and logic and end “armchair conjecture” and “ad hoc” decision making.

“We have a framework for moving forward as a way of managing what will be a significant issue,” he said.

‘Lack of focus’

But Cr Grant Miles said the draft policy failed to address the challenges of parking management for coming years.

He criticised a lack of focus on encouraging people to use other methods of transport and said more time was needed for community feedback.

“I have looked at a lot of other inner- Melbourne policies and they are extremely comprehensive policies. They go into a lot of detail,” he said.

“I just don’t find enough detail in this policy to put it forward.”

Cr Nam Quach said the draft policy was based on sound principles but was more of a “discussion paper”.

Consultation closes on April 5 before a revised policy goes before council’s April 16 meeting.

Details: maribyrnong.engagementhq.com

 

 

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…