MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Port privitisation puts bid to cut trucks in peril

Port privitisation puts bid to cut trucks in peril

A project that could take thousands of trucks off inner-west streets has been left languishing while the state government pursues its privatisation of Melbourne’s port.

The $58 million Port Rail Shuttle proposes shifting freight between Swanson Dock and three inland container terminals, and has been in the pipeline since 2007.

The freight rail shuttle could take an estimated 3500 trucks each day off city roads.

Despite already accepting $38 million in federal government funds and allocating $20 million from its own 2014-15 budget for the shuttle, the state government has effectively abandoned the project while it tries to privatise the Port of Melbourne.

Western suburbs Greens MP Colleen Hartland has slammed both current and previous governments over the delay.

“The Labor government has a cheap and quick solution to remove more than half the trucks from our local streets, and they have dumped it,” she said.

Ms Hartland last week told Parliament the people of Yarraville and Footscray put up with pollution, noise and road safety risks from thousands of port-bound container trucks on a daily basis.

“It’s an absolute outrage that the Labor government is willing to consider making motorists and governments pay $5.5 billion for the Western Distributor proposal, when there is a far more affordable and effective solution available.”

A spokesman for Roads and Ports Minister Luke Donnellan said the government still supported a freight rail proposal at the port.

“The Port Rail Shuttle is one concept that may lead to improved rail modal share at the Port of Melbourne, but there are a range of other potential initiatives,” he said.

“The government will pursue these in conjunction with the Port of Melbourne lease transaction.”

The successful bidder would be required to protect rail corridors inside the port and consider rail options during its lease term.

Victoria University logistics expert Hermione Parsons warns port privatisation could leave taxpayers facing an expensive compensation bill.

Ms Parsons on Monday told Victoria University’s Port Privatisation in Australia forum that container capacity at the Port of Melbourne would be reached in the next 20 years.

“Currently, the privatisation proposal exposes Victorians to a massive compensation payout if a second container port is developed in the next 50 years,” Ms Parsons said.

Public hearings into the proposed lease of the Port of Melbourne began yesterday and continue today.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…