MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Residents topple Altona subdivision plan

Residents topple Altona subdivision plan

In what has been described as a win for people power, residents who objected to plans for four double-storey dwellings on one lot in a quiet Altona street have won their battle.

While the proposed subdivision for 12 McIntyre Drive was not uncommon in Altona, residents believe it is the first time there have been 95 objections to such a development.

The planning application from Dajvis Andonov was last week refused by a special planning committee (SPC) of three councillors.

Any application with more than 10 objections goes to the committee for consideration.

The application was refused on grounds including it failed to meet local and state planning policies and did not fit in with the new general residential zone that encourages “development that respects neighbourhood character”.

Objector and civil engineer Stuart Hercules said residents believed the proposal was an overdevelopment for the 801-square metre site, which currently has a single-storey dwelling.

“I’ve been told that in the past, out of 22 SPC hearings, only one [application] was refused,” he said. “We’re the second.

“We’re absolutely elated and I think it’s got big ramifications for the community and it has also enabled us to get to know a lot more of our cool neighbours.

“This development has really galvanised our community, such that we’ve also developed our own action group called Altona Residents Resisting Over Development [ARROD].

“We now have specialist representatives to assist in any future developments we see as greedy and choosing yield over safety and lifestyle.”

Another objector, architect Adam Mamaj, said the council’s unanimous rejection of the proposal was a result of an engaged and motivated local community.

“This decision sends a strong message to developers that the community, as does local and state policy, demands excellence in their built environment,” he said.

“As a community, we should expect all developments will be safe and enjoyable to live in as well as adding value to the area.”

The applicant has 60 days to appeal the council’s refusal at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Mr Andonov, the director of Meraq Building Designers in Altona North, was contacted for comment.

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…