MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Six-storey building in Altona knocked back

Six-storey building in Altona knocked back

Hobsons Bay council has refused to grant a permit for a six-storey development which would have been Altona’s tallest residential building.

The tallest in Altona is currently five storeys.

Developer Redleigh Investments proposed to build a six-storey apartment block and retail centre on the corner of Sargood and Blyth streets.

The site currently has two single-storey houses on it.

Redleigh submitted plans to the council for a 35-dwelling residential development, with two shops, an office and 63 on-site parking spaces – 12 fewer than required under the council planning scheme.

Forty-two objections were submitted to the council, with residents raising concerns about the scale of the development, its appearance and the extent of the parking reduction being sought.

AERIAL SHOT WITH ARTIST’S IMPRESSION OF THE BLOCK’S FOOTPRINT (SUPPLIED)
AERIAL SHOT WITH ARTIST’S IMPRESSION OF THE BLOCK’S FOOTPRINT (SUPPLIED)

A special planning committee meeting to discuss the proposal was held on Thursday, when councillors Peter Hemphill, Carl Marsich and Jason Price defied an officer’s recommendation to allow the development.

They refused the proposal on 11 grounds, including that it was an over development of the site, failed to provide an adequate level of residential amenity, had inadequate carparking layout and access and was contrary to orderly and proper planning.

Altona Community Action Group spokesman Aaron Hunt said residents were “glad the councillors shared their concerns about inappropriate and opportunistic developments such as this”.

“Our concern from here is to ensure council resource a rigorous defence of the decision, as well as expediting the required policy work to constrain building heights in and around the Pier Street precinct,” he said.

The developer has 60 days to appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The architect acting for the developer, Vincent Interlandi, said he had not received an official instruction from his client on whether the matter would proceed to the tribunal.

“I can only speculate the answer would be ‘yes’,” he said.

 

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…