MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Staff stand-off fuels seaweed stench

Staff stand-off fuels seaweed stench

A bitter union dispute shows no sign of easing as Hobsons Bay council staff continue work bans implemented before summer, including not removing seaweed or fallen branches except where public health is threatened.

Bans are in place on mowing jobs in sporting fields and reserves, refilling dog-bag dispensers, processing court documents for new fines, issuing planning infringement notices, cleaning minor plant and equipment or refuelling vehicles after 1pm.

Australian Services Union members said the council had previously threatened to lock out workers for taking protected industrial action in “an almost unprecedented move by a Victorian council”.

Union organiser Luke Cherry said the dispute had gone to the Fair Work Commission but no resolution was reached.

“Council made commitments and we reached without-prejudice agreement to lift the work bans while we continued to negotiate, then council reneged on their commitments so the bans have remained on,” he said.

“Labour hire has been being used to clear seaweed but because they don’t have the right equipment it’s very slow for them.

“It’s been piling up there since early December and the smell is pretty pervasive throughout Altona, depending on the wind.

“Collecting branches, except where there’s a risk to public safety, has been stopped, too, and a lot of other bans on operations of council.”

He said council management had offered an eight per cent pay increase over a five-year period including one year backdated, meaning an average annual increase of 1.6 per cent. The union is seeking a 7.5 per cent pay increase over three years.

“I can’t really see the impasse being resolved any time soon,” Mr Cherry said.

“We are looking at returning to the Fair Work Commission to try and resolve it.

“Hobsons Bay City Council management are intending to put an offer out to vote which is destined to be voted down, and if they have their way we’re facing many more months of prolonged industrial action, likely to escalate significantly to long-term stoppages.”

A council spokesperson said negotiations were continuing “to come to a fair and sustainable enterprise agreement that supports the same good working conditions staff have always enjoyed, while ensuring the organisation’s ongoing financial sustainability”.

“We have ensured the work bans have resulted in no negative impact on our community and the services they rightfully deserve,” the spokesperson said.

“Contractors have been engaged to deliver a number of the services included in the work bans.
“There has been a higher than anticipated volume of seaweed over the last week due to adverse weather conditions.

“Our contractors are bringing larger, fit-for-purpose machinery on site early next week to clear any remaining seaweed from our local beaches.”

Digital Editions


  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised…

More News

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…